Protected Certificated of Origin (D.O.P.)
Protected Geographical Indication (I.G.P.)
The status of ´Protected Geographical Indication´ (P.G.O) granted to the Cañada variety of tomato is the only tomato in Spain to have this seal of guarantee. One of its special features being that it is grown in the vicinity of the Cabo de Gata Natural park, a privileged enclave with its own unique climatic and geographical characteristics.
These tomatoes are the result of traditional cultivation methods used by growers from the Vega de Almeria to Los Llanos la Cañada since the beginning of the 1960s.
Characteristics of the Cañada Tomato
The status of ´Protected Geographical Indication´ affords this variety of tomato a series of guarantees to the consumer such as:
- FOOD SAFETY – Enhanced traceability using tools such as APPCC.
- Certification of the product (UNE 155.102.2001) with global significance (GAP) Ecological Production, Integrated Production.
- Health benefits of the product; high levels of lycopene and vitamin C.
- Production and sales carried out in the same geographical area.
- The product can use the ´primera´and extra categories.
- Fixed production calendar.
- The company has a quality control system in compliance with UNE EN ISO 9001:2000
- Cultivation of specific varieties
- Organoleptic features
- Physical characteristics: chemicals related to the geographical environment, climate, water and salty soil.
- High contents of mineral salts: potassium, phosphorus and calcium.
- Special production and handling techniques in the facility.